Every year, thousands of homes, schools and commercial structures are tent-fumigated to control dry wood termite infestations. Perparations must be taken prior by the homeowner, landlord and tenants to protect personal property, foodstuffs, pets and landscaping in addition to ensuring the effectiveness of this expensive periodic treatment.
Time Required: 2-3 Hours
- Unlock and open all rooms, cabinets, desks, closets, attic hatches and safes.
- Remove all food from refrigerators, freezers, pantries and storage closets and move it off-site.
- Remove all linen from beds, mattresses, sleeping pads and closets and move off-site.
- Raise all blinds and drapes to allow window access.
- Turn off all gas flames and pilot lights in fireplaces and appliances such as water heaters, ovens, furnaces, refrigerators, washers and dryers.
- Remove all pets including aquarium fish and all houseplants.
- Trim outdoor plants to a 12" distance from the structure's exterior.
- Rake rock, gravel, bark and landscape mulch to a 12" distance from the structure's exterior. Detach any fences that abut the structure.
- Provide a garden hose for use by the applicator in wetting the soil around the structure to ensure soil penetration of the fumigant.
- Provide a set of exterior door and gate keys to the applicator so that the structure may be secured once the tent has been removed.
What You Need
- Plastic dishes with lids to store foodstuffs.
- Plastic bins and totes for linens and non-perishables.
- Plastic covers or sheets to protect mattresses and chidlren's furniture.
- Garden Shears
- Garden Rake
- Garden Hose with outdoor bib or hookup
- Pliers and Hammer
- Keys to all locked household items
- Lodging for at least 2 days